Bentonite Clay is a thick, mud-like substance derived from volcanic ash in deep rock deposits from the smectite group. It has the highest absorption of oil and it is very pliable and soft. These clays have historically proven healing properties and a unique composition of metallic elements that carry a magnetic charge which draws out positively charged toxins and bonds to them and washes away with the clay.
When used for the hair, it’s thought that bentonite clay can offer deep moisture and draw out impurities, which makes it a shampoo and conditioning mask in one. This can be especially helpful if you have:
- a dry scalp
- dry or damaged hair
- heat damage
- lack of shine
A reliable clarifier, bentonite clays offer microbe and flak reduction and give you moisturised, softened, curl-defined, shiny, and frizz-free hair.
Those with a highly sensitive scalp may want to use it with caution and test patch before embarking on a routine. Bentonite clay can also be harsh on super high porosity hair.
We’ve put together a list of three incredibly effective and luxurious hair masks and shampoos made with authentically sourced, 100% pure French Pink Clay and Moroccan Red Rhassoul Clay.
French Pink Clay
Shampoo and Body Wash:
For a foaming and detoxifying at home bath experience, sprinkle some French Pink Clay in your shampoo and body wash and shake well before applying to your scalp and body respectively and watch your hair grow longer, stronger and thicker than ever and your body feel rejuvenated from within.
- French Pink Clay is a very mild combination of red and white clays and is light to medium pink in shade because of a naturally occurring iron oxide. The French Pink Clay is one variety of Bentonite clay which only occurs in France and is praised for being naturally occurring and mineral rich.
- The clay is also known for its strong mineral content of Magnesium, Selenium and Zinc. Its unique composition also includes Kaolinite, Iron, Illite, Montmorillonite and Calcite.
- The lightly exfoliating effect of the clay works to remove dead skin cells and reveal bright fresh cells underneath.
- The clay is also known for its natural mattifying effect that removes excess oil and is a great moisturiser because it contains essential minerals which work to naturally enrich skin for a hydrating effect.
Moroccan Rhassoul Red Clay
For an at-home deep hair conditioner, mix 3-4 Tablespoons of Moroccan Rhassoul Red clay with 4-5 Tablespoons of coconut milk and 1-2 tablespoons of honey and spread the smooth mixture on your hair and massage into the scalp. Cover it with a shower cap and leave on for approximately 30-60 minutes and rinse it out with a gentle shampoo for spa-quality hair.
The no-nonsense Rhassoul homemade hair shampoo makes both your scalp and hair happy. Mix 2-3 tablespoons of Moroccan Red Rhassoul Clay with a tablespoon of Aloe Vera and enough water to make a runny paste and massage into the scalp and hair for 3-5 minutes and rinse off for squeaky clean, bouncy hair.
- Myra Veda's Moroccan Rhassoul Red clay is quarry mined from deep beneath the Atlas Mountains in Eastern Morocco. Formed as a result of natural geothermal processes, the clay is extracted, washed, sun-dried and untreated.
- Rhassoul clay is rich in magnesium and potassium that get absorbed through the skin barrier and help fight acne, cleanse impurities and improve skin elasticity.
- It also contains silicon, iron, sodium, lithium and trace elements that have a tremendously detoxifying and re-mineralizing effect on the skin and has been used for over 1500 years as a soap, shampoo and skin conditioner and is used for its therapeutic benefits.
- It helps replenish skin and hair and delivers deep moisture unveiling soft recharged and revitalised skin and hair.
How often can you use these masks on your hair?
Like a mask for your face, a bentonite clay hair mask is intended for use only a few times per week. You can use it as little as once a week. You may need to use it more often if your hair is extra dry and brittle.
You can use the bentonite mask in place of your daily shampoo and conditioner. Leave the mask on for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. This will help ensure that the product has had a chance to thoroughly penetrate your hair and scalp to provide maximum benefits.
If you have any leftover product, store it in a closed-lid container to save for next time.