What is hormonal acne?
Hormonal acne is exactly what it sounds like - acne tied to fluctuations in your hormones. While acne is usually a part of hitting puberty when hormonal changes start to occur in your body, hormonal changes can happen even when you are an adult. In fact, it is a common occurrence to undergo hormonal shifts, especially if you are a woman who menstruates.
Hormonal acne may be caused by influxes of hormones from:
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome or PCOS
- Increased androgen levels
Can it be cured at home?
There are many things you can do that can help you get rid of hormonal acne, even though you may not be able to keep your skin clear at all times. Firstly, you need to know that you can’t cure hormonal acne overnight. Since these breakouts are caused by fluctuations in your hormones, you need to make sure you consistently follow a healthy diet and lifestyle to keep your hormones balanced. This, in combination with home remedies that can truly transform your skin and bring out a healthy glow!
Try these home remedies to treat your acne
- Use apple cider vinegar (ACV) - The acids present in apple cider vinegar help in killing acne-causing bacteria and curing inflammation. Mix three parts of water with one part of apple cider vinegar and apply it to your face. Leave it on for 20 seconds and wash off with water. Caution: Do not use ACV in its undiluted form.
- Use Aloe Vera - Aloe Vera contains anti-inflammatory properties and is known to contain salicylic acid and sulphur, which are great for treating acne. You can use it directly from your garden, just scoop out the gel and gently massage it onto your skin to treat your acne and scars.
- Try green tea bags - Green tea is a great source of antioxidants and helps in fighting acne-causing bacteria and reducing inflammation. It is great for soothing the skin and treating hormonal acne. You can apply the green tea bags directly to your skin.
- Make a turmeric mask - Turmeric has well known anti-inflammatory properties since it contains an ingredient called curcumin. It is great for acne treatment and making a turmeric mask at home can provide you with great results against hormonal acne.
- Just combine yogurt, turmeric and honey and apply it on your face. Let it stay for 15-20 minutes before washing it off.
- If you want better results, you can make a scrub using Wild White Turmeric Clay or Kasturi Manjal. Combine this clay with almond milk and baking soda and massage it onto the face starting from the chin and moving in small circles to reduce acne.
- You can also make a mask using Wild White Turmeric Clay, raw organic honey and coconut milk. This helps tighten, brighten and soothe inflamed skin.
- Try a sugar yogurt scrub - Add a teaspoon of brown sugar to two teaspoons of yogurt and exfoliate your skin gently with this natural scrub to remove the dead skin and dirt deposited on the top of your skin. Wash your face with a gentle face wash.
Make these changes to your everyday life:
- Drink enough water - You can’t get out of this one. Water keeps your skin hydrated and flushes out the toxins from your body. It also prevents excess production of oil that causes acne.Drink at least 3 litres of water everyday to stay healthy, hydrated and in control of your acne.
- Get some movement in - Exercising regularly increases the blood circulation to your face, which helps in clearing out your skin. It is also a great way to keep your stress levels under control which can prevent stress induced acne breakouts.
- Keep your stress levels under control - When you are constantly stressed, your body releases hormones that contribute to excess production of sebum which increases acne breakouts. Stress also slows down the healing of wounds, which can lead to acne scars staying longer on your skin.
- Follow a healthy diet - This one is a no-brainer. Avoid greasy, junk food as it can disrupt your hormones and produce more oil. Further, eating excess amounts of dairy products, sugary and processed foods also aggravate acne. Follow a clean and balanced diet to keep your hormones and acne in check.
- Include probiotics in your diet - Probiotics can help you manage your gut health and keep the healthy bacteria in it thriving. This can reduce inflammation and acne breakouts. Homemade yogurt or curd and unprocessed cheese are great sources of probiotics.